MASTER BROKERS NEWS
Broward Chapter -
2008 Mid-Year Report
With "The Season" still ahead of us, it has already been an active and exciting 2008 for the Broward Master Brokers. Here's a quick review of some the year's events and highlights. (If you missed any of these events, please make sure you are receiving all of your MBF e-mails!)
January - Year in Review Meeting, Sponsored and Hosted by Mercedes-Benz of Pembroke Pines.
Master Brokers Liz Caldwell, Marta DuPree, Dan O'Flaherty, Toni Napolitano, and Jeff Greenberg
Carolyn Block Ellert, chair of the Broward Master Brokers Forum, addresses the guests
May - Forum Dinner and Panel Discussion on International Buyers, Sponsored by Minto's Villas By The Sea
Top Row: Rich Campanella, Wachovia Mortgage/The Campanella Group; John Pinson, John D. Pinson, Inc. and FIABCI-USA (the International Real Estate Federation); Brenda Barbosa, Minto Communities; Linda Yonke, Minto Communities; Mike Brown, Minto Communities
Bottom Row: Fred Rapchik, Minto Communities; Carolyn Block Ellert, Broward MBF; Darcie Lunsford, South Florida Business Journal; Aida Turbow, Prudential Florida WCI; Elizabeth Tripp, Minto Communities; and Teresa K. Kinney, Realtor Association of Greater Miami & the Beaches
Master Brokers Summer Greene and JoAnn Hostutler
June - 2008 New Member Reception, Sponsored by Las Olas River House
Steve Spergel, Bill Hahne, Bryan Zand, and Marisa DiLenge
Kent McIntyre, Gladys Castro, Elizabeth Buiani, and Toni Napolitano
"STATE OF THE MARKET" Point/Counterpoint
Opinions about the South Florida real estate market are as varied as the market itself. In this column, we share the contrasting thoughts of two Broward MBF board members. What do you think? Share your opinions at email@example.com
SUMMER GREENE, PRUDENTIAL 1ST FLORIDA REALTY
Inventory is coming down and pendings are ticking up month over month since January 2008. Pendings are always forward looking. All signs that the market is moving towards some sense of normalcy again. We are actually seeing multiple offers which proves if a home is priced right, willing buyers will snap it up! I have been traveling the state campaigning for FAR Treasurer and am hearing the same thing again and again. Buyers are back in the market. One associate from Ocala put four different properties under contract last week (and no, they were NOT short sales!).
PHIL KEAGY, PRUDENTIAL 1ST FLORIDA REALTY
I personally can be busy showing properties one day and very still for the next three. (Fortunately, this week has me moving a bit faster with some possibilities in the making, but this seems to be the exception, not the rule.)
Much of this can be attributed to the normal summer doldrums and heat....but, quite frankly, there is not much rhythm to this market and pendings occur in spurts (usually because the sellers come to grips that time is not working in their favor.) Rio Vista has 105 active listings and 3 ps/b on the MLS, and Las Olas has 154 active and 6 ps/b.
There are several dynamics working here: overpriced inventory, the general economy, developers no longer buying spec land (Rio Vista), potential buyers who cannot sell their home, financing, summertime blues, and the dreaded "wait and see attitude".
Realtors are responsible for properly pricing their listings, knowing that the market is declining 18-22% a year (1%/mo). If we, as listing Realtors, have an average home, on an average location priced somewhere in the middle of the listing pack, that home will probably sit and continue to chase the market down.
As Master Brokers and leaders of our industry, we need to be realistic and only promote realistic expectations.
Distinguish Yourself! Use the MBF Logo
As a Master Broker, you have the opportunity to feature the organization's distinctive "MBF" logo on your advertisements, web site, business cards, and other promotional materials. To save the logo below to your computer, simply move your mouse over it, "right click" your mouse, and select "Save Picture As...". (For a high resolution version of the logo, click here.)
How Do I E-mail My Fellow Master Brokers?
Many of you have been receiving e-mail notices from your fellow Master Brokers regarding new listings and open houses. Have you wondered if you could also send mass e-mails to the entire membership, and how to do so?
It’s EASY! Just follow these simple steps to reach your fellow members:
1. Visit the Master Brokers Forum web site at
2. Scroll to the bottom of the main page and click on
3. On the next page, type in your e-mail address (the one on file with the MBF) and your password. (Hint: if you STILL have not created your password, the default is “mbf”. Make sure to CHANGE your password under “Edit My Profile” once you’ve logged on with the default.)
4. On the left side of the next page, click on “Member Communications”.
5. On the Member Communications page, you will notice there are two “pull-down” menus. On “By Chapter...” you can select one or all chapters for your message. On “Select Membership Type”, you can choose all types, individuals, partnerships, working or non-working managers, or Sponsor/Developers.
6. After making these selections, simply type your Subject and the body of the message. You can format your copy using the word processing tools on the page. (Hint: you may want to write your copy in Microsoft Word BEFORE logging onto the web site, so you can “copy and paste” once you reach the page.)
7. If you’d like to add an attachment to your mailing, scroll down to the Upload Attachments area, click “browse” and navigate your way to the attachment.
8. When your message is ready, click “Send Email”. That’s it!
For more information on using this tool, contact
Broward Master Brokers Forum Board of Directors
The Broward Master Brokers Forum is generously supported by Wachovia. For all of your mortgage needs, contact Rich Campanella at (954) 647-0106.